Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Daily Sketch: Supergirl

Man, there are some days when doing these daily sketches is just sheer blinding panic that I'm not going to be able to pull it off. And, to be honest, I'm not sure I always do. The perfectionist voice in my head screams at me, "You can't draw today (if you even can at all)! Nothing is working! Just give up! Post an old sketch and be done with it!" And then even when it's something acceptable, there's still the part of me that wants to hold off posting it because when I look at it again tomorrow with fresh eyes I'll see all the mistakes and hopefully be able to fix them. If I publish now, then those mistakes are living in the digital universe forever.

But then I realize that's not what this blog is about. I said it in my very first entry, that art isn't about perfection. Striving for perfection, being unwilling to expose my mistakes, and not working on my big ideas until I feel I'm "good enough" to make them perfect, waiting to be as good as all of the artists and writers I admire--those are all things that have been holding me back all this time. This blog is about overcoming those feelings. I don't know if they'll ever go away, those negative voices telling me I'm no good, but through this blog I can learn to say to them, "Fuck you, I know it's not perfect, but I'm going to publish anyway." And hopefully there's a few of you out there who will find some enjoyment and value in what I've produced.

Whew, so anyway, here's today's sketch. Supergirl! (who really didn't want to cooperate!)


No comments:

Post a Comment